A volunteer firefighter died tending to a raging residential fire in Montgomery County on the evening of the Fourth of July.
It was reported that 35-year-old Sean W. DeMuynck was getting ready to move to his native Canada when he came to help rescuers.
Penn Wynne / Overbrook Hills Fire Company said in a statement that the victim was found unconscious on the third level of the burning home.
“We lost a true hero,” said Lower Merion Township Fire Department Fire Chief Chas McGarvey on Monday. The incident was reported on Sunday after 10:30 pm “Upon arrival the fire department ran into
This is what we know about the victim:
- He was removed from the burning structure at 11:00 pm on Sunday, July 4.
- He was transferred to Lankenau Hospital where death was certified at 12:22 pm
- He served as a volunteer firefighter in that community since August 2019.
- He is survived by his wife with whom he was moving to his native Canada on Monday, July 5.
- The DeMuyncks were in the Philadelphia area on a work visa.
- The victim was a hockey fan.
- Funeral arrangements were pending.