Principal Engineer – Bridges and Civils – Midlands
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients’ problems head-on. It’s a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we’re here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what’s ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you’re returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
We are currently seeking a Principal Engineer to join our Bridges and Civils team within our Transportation Practice, based in Birmingham. The successful candidate will support our team in the Midlands working on a number of exciting, high-profile projects and frameworks. This includes East West Rail Phase 2, HS2, Highways England East Region DSC and the Central Rail Systems Alliance. The team supports wider projects throughout the UK, as well as a range of local market projects.
Using your technical and delivery skills, you will be responsible for delivering a variety of civil and structural design packages and projects for new build highways and rail schemes, renewals schemes, assessment works and asset management schemes. Your duties will include supporting the management of both individual design packages and entire projects, supporting project resourcing and financial control to ensure our schemes are delivered profitably, to programme, and in accordance with Atkins’ quality assurance systems.
You will have a background in civil engineering design, and an interest in the delivery of multi-disciplinary projects within highways, rail or local authority environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility through to detailed design.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status and membership of the ICE or IStructE
The role will be varied, requiring a balance of relevant industry experience, technical ability, communication and stakeholder management skills. Expected criteria are:
- Proven knowledge in design, maintenance and supervision of structures related projects together with a track record of innovation in design and management of highway structures.
- Practical knowledge and experience of bridge design, maintenance and assessment.
- Use analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise different options and recommend the most suitable option
- Ability to oversee the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Ability to undertake technical reviews.
- Experience of grillage, space frame and finite element analysis software packages such as LUSAS, MIDAS, Superstress and Autodesk Structural Bridge Design
- Experience of working with key clients such as Network Rail, Local Authorities, Highways England, Developers and major Contractors.
- Ability to support bids and tenders. Experience of work winning and developing Client relationships.
- Good understanding of relevant design standards (e.g. DMRB, MCHW, Eurocodes and those of Highways England and Network Rail).
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables, delivering within set time frame.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
We recognise that whilst, your experience might not fit these criteria exactly, you could still be a valuable addition to our team. If you have a desire to develop within Transportation Civils and Structures, we look forward to making the most of your transferrable skills and would welcome hearing from you
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We’re creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You’ll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you’ll be in a privileged position, delivering what’s right for governments and communities. You’ll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees “Total Reward”. It’s a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You’ll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you’re supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let’s talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you’ll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.” #LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation