June 10 Angel Day is celebrated by: Ignat, Denis, Dmitry, Zakhar, Nikita, Nikolai, Makar, Pavel. Also on this day, the church celebrates the Day of St. Nikita.
POPULAR TRUTH informs that on June 10 the Orthodox Church honors the memory Monk Nikita of Chalcedon, bishop. The people call him a gosper. It was believed that Nikita is the guardian of little goslings. It protects them from eagles, hawks and other predators. They asked Nikita for protection in cases related to raising geese in the yard.
Saint Nikita lived in the second half of the 8th – early 9th centuries. He had a gentle disposition. He was merciful, protected orphans, helped the disadvantaged. For a pious way of life, Nikita was made bishop of Chalcedonia. During the reign of Leo the Armenian, the struggle with icons was widespread. The Bishop of Chalcedon rose to their defense. He diligently denounced the iconoclasts. When the emperor realized that he would not pacify the bishop, he ordered to subject him to various tortures and sent him into exile.
Traditions and rituals on June 10:
On this day, it is customary to pray to Saint Nikita for the protection of little goslings from birds of prey and animals.
Fearing a meeting with noon (a spirit that looks like ordinary women – on hot days they flew in circles over the fields and lured working peasants), people close their windows and sit in houses. Sleeping at this time is undesirable. If the spirit catches a tired person in the field, who has sat down to rest, then it will charm, tickle, or take with it the children left unattended.
Signs for June 10 – Nikita Day
- After talking with a beautiful woman, pregnant women will give birth to a healthy and strong baby.
- Signs for June 10 say that a person can decide to commit adultery and then lose masculine strength.
- Dreams that are dreamed today do not come true.
- If Nikita’s day is quiet, then the harvest will be good.
What not to do on June 10:
You shouldn’t talk to strangers, because our ancestors believed that this could bring trouble to your family.
On June 10, you should not quarrel, because this can damage the harvest. The ancestors believed that on June 10, one should not save on relatives and friends, so that they would not walk in poverty all summer.
Significant events on June 10:
- 978 – Prince Vladimir sat on the Kiev throne.
- 1793 – The world’s first public zoo is established in Paris.
- 1865 – The premiere of Richard Wagner’s opera Tristan and Isolde took place in Munich.
- 1907 – The French engineers Lumière brothers invented a method of printing color photographs, which they planned to use for the production of color films.
- 1909 – The Slavonia passenger ship wrecked off the Azores uses the SOS signal for the first time in the world.
- 1917 – The First All-Ukrainian Peasant Congress began its work in Kiev.
- 1918 – The independence of Armenia is declared (May 28, old style).
- 1921 – Leo Tolstoy Museum-Estate “Yasnaya Polyana” was founded.
- 1934 – Under the NKVD of the Ukrainian SSR, the Main Directorate of Forced Labor Camps and Labor Settlements (the Ukrainian branch of the GULAG) was created.
- 1936 – The Soyuzmultfilm studio was created in the USSR
- 1940 – The Russian-German convention on the procedure for the settlement of border disputes and conflicts was signed in Moscow.
- 1943 – The Hungarian Laszlo Biro invented the ballpoint pen.
- 1950 – Western countries rejected the Soviet Union’s proposal to hold a referendum in Germany on the idea of uniting the country.
- 1964 – A monument to Taras Shevchenko was unveiled in Moscow.
- 1967 – The USSR broke off diplomatic relations with Israel (they were renewed only in 1991).
- 1969 – A military conflict between the USSR and China took place in the TASTA region (Kazakh SSR).
- 1984 – The Americans conduct the first successful test of an anti-missile system in space.
- 2000 – Nikita Mikhalkov, Rustam Ibragimbekov, Eduard Artemyev, Vladimir Ilyin, Oleg Menshikov, Alexey Petrenko were awarded the State Prize of Russia in the field of cinematography for the film “The Barber of Siberia”.
FOLK TRUTH has published the church calendar for June 2020.